Fast growing organization in health services seeks a Senior Vice President for their legal departments.
The Senior Vice President, Legal will function as a key member of the senior leadership team and will report to the General Counsel. S/he will be responsible for a legal portfolio that could include areas ranging from corporate governance matters, overall management of the legal department, and/or serving as the primary legal advisor to the executive leadership team and Board of Directors.
The ability to join a high functioning senior leadership team will be a critical factor in choosing a candidate. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that the organization operates in compliance with applicable federal, local, and international laws; providing high-quality legal analysis of legal, regulatory, and policy initiatives affecting the organization; and litigating to uphold the organization’s rights under federal, international, and state law.
S/he will effectively both lead and join a high-performing and collaborative legal team, ensuring their accountability to the strategic goals of the organization. By thoroughly understanding the organization’s mission and future direction, this person will be deeply engaged in designing and executing strategic decisions as well as integrating legal advice into corporate objectives.
Specific responsibilities may include one or more of the following:
Specifically, the Senior Vice President for legal will be responsible for a legal portfolio that could include one or more of the following areas:
- Compliance and Privacy: Oversee the organization’s legal activities and coordinate/manage regulatory compliance to ensure projects and activities are conducted in accordance with applicable federal, state, and international laws and regulations.
- Employment and Labor. Advise and support Human Resources on matters related to labor and employment issues.
- Intellectual Property. Oversee the management of the organization’s intellectual property portfolio. Partner with program teams to manage all aspects of intellectual property for programs, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets world-wide.
- Litigation. Manage the organization’s domestic and international litigation.
- Mergers and Acquisitions. Lead the structuring, drafting, negotiation, and closing of strategic corporate partnerships and key operational agreements. Serve as the lead lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including financings, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Business Affairs – Provide substantive analysis and counsel to the General Counsel, senior management and Board of Directors (Board) on a variety of legal, regulatory, and policy issues. Build and maintain strong collaborative relationships with the Board. Ensure adherence to corporate governance structure and the organization bylaws. Brief Board on antitrust issues and other matters affecting the Board.
- Staff Leadership. Lead, mentor, empower, and develop a cohesive, collaborative legal team that is closely aligned with the overall goals of the organization and needs of its members. Lead and foster a climate of cross-collaboration with other organizational departments. Empower staff to provide effective legal and regulatory services to internal clients and members.
- Strategic Direction. Translate strategic priorities into operational reality; align communication, accountabilities, resource capabilities, internal processes, and ongoing measurement systems to ensure that strategic priorities yield measurable and sustainable results.
The organization is seeking candidates of high ethical integrity with the relevant experience, background and leadership competencies to build credibility across the organization. S/he will have experience and personality characteristics to be a key member of a collaborative leadership team and the ability to provide valuable input and support for the strategic direction of the organization. The organization is seeking a candidate with a reputation for being effective at anticipating and understanding key trends that will impact the industry, and proactively leading initiatives to address them.
- Juris Doctorate from ABA accredited law school
- Member of the State Bar (in good standing)
- 15+ years of legal experience with increasing responsibility gained through a combination of experience in private practice from a well-respected law firm and experience as in-house counsel (either as General Counsel, Associate/Assistant/Deputy General Counsel or VP of Legal)
- Excellent communications skills. Produces concise written legal and policy arguments, with ability to verbally articulate these legal arguments clearly and persuasively.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, key to forging and sustaining trusting relationships with staff members, government officials, outside counsel and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to form and lead teams, including all levels of management and technical staff both within the organization and in government agencies.
- Sound judgment, professional demeanor, good work ethic, and business acumen.
Compensation for this position will be competitive and include a salary, bonus and benefits package commensurate with professional qualifications and experience. Confidential inquiries and queries should be directed to Christine Boulware at email@example.com or 312-391-6098.